Secret Artists in Residence during the week: Colin Benders, Sarah Neutkens, Alberta Balsam, Steve Rachmad aka STERAC, Mathew Jonson, Pitto, Sie Medway-Smith, Lady Starlight, Nadia Struiwigh, Ramses3000, Ben Penn, Nikos ten Hoedt, Andert Tysma, Sjamsoedin, Anouschka
After premiering at Best Kept Secret last year and a sophomore edition at ADE22, Secret Artists in Residence settles down on the top floor of ADE Pro this year. A one-off music studio will be built at Felix Meritis to host unusual collaborations, produce records and jam out with an eclectic roster of artists & the concept’s host and curator Pitto himself. Discover a world of inspiration, creativity and collaboration as we embark on a transformative journey of artistic vision, pushing boundaries, and expanding your horizons.
Modular Synthesis Workshop
Join us for an exclusive opportunity to witness these talented artists in action during the following scheduled time slots. Get up close and personal with their artistic process and gain a deeper appreciation for their craft.
During engaging one hour workshops we will delve into the exciting realm of modular synthesis with a special focus on the Elektor Modular System. Learn the fundamentals, discover sound design techniques, and grasp the potential of modular synths, especially the Elektor Modular System, to elevate your music production. We'll explore strategies to deepen your understanding of modular synthesis, including concepts of CV (Control Voltage) and gate signals, and expand your creative horizons. Scroll all the way down for more information regarding the content of the workshop.
On this day, you will have the opportunity to register for the Modular Synthesis Workshop taking place later in the day. There will be a registration form available for you to provide your personal information, which can be accessed at the reception in the Felix Meritis (not at the desks outside on the Keizersgracht). Once you have signed up, please join us at the specified timeslots for the workshop.
The policy is 'first come, first served,' so be sure to register early for the best chance at securing your spot.
Friday 16:30 - 18:00
Studio Recording Sessions and Amptec Trinnov NOVA Demo sessions
In addition, make sure to watch out for the Demo Sessions by Amptec, showcasing NOVA room correction and acoustic optimization technology by Trinnov Audio, as well as Studio Recording Sessions by the professionals themselves.
1. Introduction to Modular Synthesis and the Elektor Modular System
- Overview of modular synthesis and its significance in contemporary music.
- Brief history and evolution of modular synthesizers, with a special focus on the Elektor Modular System.
2. Understanding Modular Components
- Explanation of oscillators and their role in generating sound waves.
- Different waveforms and their sonic characteristics.
- Introduction to filters and their role in shaping the sound spectrum.
- Types of filters and their effects on the audio signal.
- Definition and application of envelopes in sound shaping.
- Understanding ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) envelopes.
2.4 VCA (Voltage-Controlled Amplifier):
- Explanation of VCAs and their role in controlling the amplitude or volume of a sound.
- How VCAs are crucial in the synthesis process.
2.5 LFO (Low-Frequency Oscillator):
- Definition and purpose of LFOs in modular synthesis.
- Various waveforms and how they influence modulation.
- Explanation of Sample-and-Hold and its role in generating stepped or quantized random voltages.
- Applications in creating random and evolving sounds.
3. Sound Generation and Sculpting
- Demonstrations on generating sounds with oscillators and manipulating them using filters, VCAs, LFOs, Sample-and-Hold, and envelopes.
4. Signal Routing and Patching
- Understanding signal paths and patching in modular synthesis.
- Best practices for efficient signal routing and cable management.
5. Control Voltage (CV) and Gate Signals
- Explanation of CV and gate signals as fundamental tools for modular synthesis.
- How CV and gate signals control parameters and trigger events in the modular system.
6. Creating Drum, Bass, and Lead Sounds
- Demonstrations on using modular synthesis, especially the Elektor Modular System, to create drum sounds, bass sounds, and lead sounds.
- Tips and techniques for achieving different timbres and characteristics.
7. Creative Sound Design and Closing Remarks
- Recap of the workshop and guidance for further exploration.
- Basic knowledge of music production and electronic music fundamentals.
- An open mind and a passion for exploring new sonic possibilities.