Ten reasons for upcoming producers not to miss ADE Sound Lab
ADE Sound Lab is not only the ADE hangout where you can chill and play, it is also the place where established producers and artists meet the next generation of singers, producers, and DJs face-to-face.
After recent announcements about Underworld’s keynote interview and the world premiere of Avicii's film True Stories, ADE Sound Lab, the place for all aspiring DJ's, producers, artists and live acts, is in the spotlight.
If you’re serious – or just curious - about making music and exploring the world of production, or if you want to give your career in music a push in the right direction, then the ADE Festival Hangout is a must for you during ADE.
Still not convinced? Here are ten reasons why you really should do yourself and your music career a favour by going there:
- Demo pitches: Get your demos ready. At ADE Sound Lab there are several options for you to get professional feedback from A&R managers, managers, agents, producers and promotors, and you never know, you might even get signed. We will host two demo pitches per day, so just check which professional you’d like to talk to and register on the morning of ADE Sound Lab. On top of that, it wouldn’t be ADE Sound Lab without the infamous twenty-first edition of the Demolition panel hosted by Dave Clarke. Just throw your USB stick with your best track in a box during the day, and then at Demolition six tracks will be randomly selected and commented on by the judges! The winner receives a goodie bag of highly desirable and useful prizes.
- Go eye to eye with your favourite artists - Learn from the pros at ADE MusicTalks. It shouldn’t be a surprise that ADE attracts the biggest names in the music industry, and we’re honoured to welcome Nina Kraviz who will appear in her first ADE Music Talk ever. Find out more about Nina, her music and her creative life in this rare and intimate interview with one of the scene's true originals. Alongside that, old friends Tiga and Soulwax will interview each other, sure to be an interesting conversation! Also appearing at MusicTalks are DVS1, Gary Numan, Kiasmos, Lady Starlight, Matthew Dear, Surgeon and many more!
- In the Studio with top notch producers. Adriatique, Deltawerk, Diquenza, Ferry Corsten, Jameszoo, Jay Hardway, Joris Voorn, Sjamsoedin and Weval. Ever wondered how your favourite musicians make the music you love?’ In The Studio With ..’ takes you to the heart of the matter with a guided tour of their working environment by the artists that you look up to. They'll be bringing their studio set-ups with them, revealing what their favourite software and hardware is, and perhaps even showing a few of their production tricks. But come early, these sessions are open to 20 people only.
- Studio XL. Sometimes an artist is just too ‘big’ for a small studio, and because we want more people to be able to learn from them we upgraded some studio sessions to a Studio XL! This year our Studio XL guests are Oliver Heldens, Philip Glass, Chocolate Puma and Martin Garrix.
- Gear Test Lab. ADE Sound Lab will once again be a hive of high-end, musical craftsmanship. Aimed at budding creatives, Sound Lab will be filled with some of the latest and most advanced music technology by leading innovative brands covering every aspect of your performance and production needs. Sound Lab will also be staffed by experts who are there to help, advise and demonstrate the performance capacities of the showcased gear, and allowing you to test-run the latest in music technology. Brands: Ableton, Elektron, Roland, Novation, SAE, Splice, Serato, KV331
- Against The Clock - hosted by FACTmag. This is the place where skills are pushed to the limit. We invite top artists to take the Against the Clock challenge and make a track in just 10 minutes. If you’re curious how it can be done, you can look over the artist’s shoulder and then have a go yourself!
- Pioneer DJ. Pioneer DJ will be hosting a series of live sets by internationally renowned DJs such as KiNK, DJ Sneak, and Honey Dijon, alongside showcasing all the latest products. There may even be a couple of surprise appearances. And of course, if you haven't already tried them, the brand-new HDJ-X range of professional DJ headphones will be available for you to check out.
- Masterclasses and talks by Ableton, Roland and Native Instruments. Our technical partners have selected a highly diverse group of artists who will demonstrate their approach to electronic music performance, each with their own unique take on the art of DJing that helps them to stay ahead of the game. Each session is a not-to-be-missed opportunity to get essential insights on performance from some of the industry’s most in-demand artists, including A Guy Called Gerald, Boys Noize, Chagall, Egyptian Lover, Masters at Work, Laidback Luke, Nacho Marco, Oliver Twizt.
- Alex4 Modular workshop. Patch me if you can! Have you noticed that those big metal units with all the coloured knobs and switches are becoming more popular with musicians? Patrick Detampel from Alex4 will give you an introductory catch-up course on how to work with modular synths, and given his passion and knowledge, he’ll most likely infect you with his obsessive love of these amazing machines.
- So You Think You Can Sync. If you have always wanted to create music for games, now you get the chance to show what you can do! Participate in our So You Think You Can Sync competition, instructions below. Five nominees will be picked by a jury consisting of delegates from two of the hottest labels Monstercat and NCS.
As they judge the work of these young talents, one of whom could well be ADE's Sound Lab sync star. The panel will also be offering tips on composing for moving images, advice about how to get your work heard by music supervisors, whether or not you need the services of a specialist agent/manager, and emerging online opportunities. It's the chance of a lifetime for all the finalists, and the winner will walk away with a goodie bag packed with useful and inspiring prizes.
Download the video via the following link.
Upload your submission as a private YouTube video and send the link to: firstname.lastname@example.org before Sunday October 15th 8pm. On Tuesday, October 17th, 5 nominees will be selected who will receive a free ADE card. The winner will be announced at ADE Sound Lab on Friday Oct 20th.
ADE Sound Lab will run from October 19th- October 21st, program starts at noon. Access only for ADE Card and ADE Pass / ADE Conference Pass holders. Purchase your ADE Card (€10,-) here.
Attend here to stay up to date, more program info can be found here.
The Festival Hangout at De Brakke Grond (Nes 45) is open from ADE's Wednesday through till Saturday from 10 am onwards, and is located at the very heart of Amsterdam just 10 minutes away from Amsterdam Central Station.
ADE Sound Lab is run in cooperation with Creative Industries Fund NL and VSB fund supporting the Festival Hangout.
Photo credits: Tim Buiting